[Samba] configuration & cups

PJourdan info at lespetitsplaisirs.com
Wed Sep 18 12:07:01 GMT 2002

Resubmitting, as, apparently the attachment was messed up. It is in the
message at the end.

I seem to be having a great deal of trouble with cups and samba configuration.
cups seems to go on and off and it works and doesn't work.
I think I need some help on my samba configuration. Generally, it has
worked well on another machine, but my current setup seems a bit screwy.
System: FreeBSD 4.6.2; cups-1.1.15.1; cups-base-1.1.15.1_4;
cups-lpr-1.1.15.1_1;cups-pstoraster-7.05.5; ghostscript-gnu-7.05_3
(installed by cups-lpr); gimp-print-4.2.1; samba-2.2.6.p2
Problem: yesterday, I could see the Unix machine on Win2k. I have two
printer shares that could be seen. Today, they are not there.
To log on to the FBSD machine from Win2k I get the log-on window and can
connect by entering nothing and pressing enter.
I can access the Printer directory, the www and tmp.
But one directory, pippo, asks for a username and password but accepts none.
I am running samba from rc.local with no parameters
I am attaching my smb.conf
I am sure I am doing something wrong.

netstat -a  (o;n Win2k client

Active Connections

  Proto 		Local Address	kForeign address	Sate
  TCP		pippo: epmap	pippo:0			LISTENING
  TCP		pippo:1036	biggie2:netbios-ssn	TIME_WAIT
  UDP	...

So, we know I'm connected.
But no matter what username password combination I try to use, I cannot
connect from Network Neighborhood.
Obviously, I don't understand what the username/password use is between the
machines.
I probably do not have the right users set up in the correct manner on the
Unix box or a user for the Unix box on Win2k. I have this set up correctly
on another box, but for the life of me I do not remember exactly how or
what I did to make it work.

Please help.

Apparently, the smb.conf file is not readable. Here it is:
[global]
    workgroup = KITCHEN
    server string = Samba Server
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    load printers = yes
    printcap name = cups
    printing = cups
   guest account = pcguest
    log file = /var/log/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    os level = 99
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    dns proxy = no
[homes]
    comment = "Home Directory for : %u"
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    path = /home/samba/%u
    valid users = %u administrator
    force user = %u
    create mask = 0644
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    create mask = 0777
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = no
    printable = yes
[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes
[cdrom]
    comment = "Unix CD-ROM"
    path = /cdrom
    guest ok = yes
    volume = "cdrom"
[www]
    comment = "WWW System"
    path = /usr/www
    read only = no
    create mask = 0775
    volume = "www_system"
[pippo]
    comment = Phil's home dir.
    path = /home/pippo
    valid users = pippo,administrator, at smb
    force user = pippo
    force group = smb
    read only = no
[print$]