[Samba] [ smbfs ] Does it support ACLS?

Edoardo Causarano curious.corn at katamail.com
Wed Sep 18 10:38:00 GMT 2002

Fisrt thing, excuse me for replying with OE, I'm not @ my PC @ the moment
;-)

> ACL enabled network filesystem, where is it? I can't go with alpha code
nfs4,
> so is there a patch to the smb kernel modules that provides support to
ACLs?
> (I mean... the server does!!) Even a userland daemon will do... I'm ready
> patch, test, anything to get NT4 off my back.

There are no patches I am aware of that adds ACLs to smbfs.
(how does an ACL enabled client help you with NT4?)

I have no intention of touching that until the ACL patches are accepted in
the main kernel (last I heard there was still some discussion on what the
right way(tm) to do it was). I simply don't have to time for that.

If someone else wants to, I do accept smbfs patches. Preferrably vs 2.5
for something this experimental.

/Urban

The ACL client would allow us to ditch NT4 and go UNIX from server to
workstation. In such an environment one would use nfs3 but that's not enough
for desktop use as ACLs are easier to maintain and work with rather than UGO
permissions. NFS4 isn't up to snuff yet so I thought that if smbd supports
ACLs on XFS, ACL_ext3 one could add the code to fetch these extended
attributes to the smb filesystem module (I understand that such patches
would require the presence of the bestbits patches). Usually one would use
smb.o to interoperate with M$, in my case I'd like to use it as an
interim/definitive alternative to nfs in a fully UNIX shop.

Ciao,
Edo

--
No uptime sig from here.... sigh!