[Samba] samba latest release

Kovar Jan Kovar_J at tese.cz
Tue Sep 17 14:00:18 GMT 2002

> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 06:47, Kovar Jan wrote:
> > > If you choose 2.2.5, then make sure you also add the patches at:-
> > >
> > >   http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/patches/jerry/post-2.2.5/
> >

> > How do I apply those patches to binary samba installation from rpm?
> > (Redhat 7.3, 2.4.18-10)
> you don't
> you should download the source ball from samba and use their tools
> to build new rpms (look in the packaging subdir)

So, why do they create a rpms?
Question on samba team:
It is really helpfull to have rpms. Are you thinking about creating also
updated binary packages? Something like:
samba-2.2.5-2.rpm or samba-2.2.5-1.print-patch.rpm? I thing that popularity
of binary distributions is big. But if we are able to update samba only by
compilling from source, than it looses its sence.

Greetings

Jan Kovar