[Samba] smbclient return status from shellscript?

Palmer Magnus Magnus.Palmer at tetrapak.com
Tue Sep 17 13:37:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I hope this is the correct mailinglist for my question.

I've made a script that sends a file to a NT shared folder.
As long as I make a successfull connect, I get return status 0...
This is a problem, since now I can't make a correct errorhandling if
something goes wrong.

+/opt/samba-2.0.5a/bin/smbclient //mapa-lap/mapaPublic -E -d0 -I
XXX.YYY.ZZZ.WWW -n mapa-lap -N -U guest -c put a.txt ;put a.txr
Added interface ip=XXX.YYY.ZZZ.WWW bcast=XXX.YYY.MMM.NNN
nmask=255.255.255.192
putting file a.txt as \a.txt (0.0333717 kb/s) (average 0.0333717 kb/s)
a.txr does not exist            <<<<HERE THE LOCAL FILE DOES NOT EXIST <<<<<
+ echo 0
0

Checking the flags and manpage doesn't mention anyway to echo an
unsuccessfull status back...

Any ideas of what to do?
(I will always send only one file per session, this was just for making the
example clearer.)
(I guess I could pipe the answer to a file and check that I get a "^putting
file", but this is not a preferable solution though).

Best regards Magnus Palmér
Consultant @TetraPak  Information Management
Phone: +46 46 36 4038
Business Integration Consultant - Frontec Sverige AB
Kaptensgatan 1, SE-211 41 MALMÖ, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0) 40 - 6602631
Email: magnus.palmer at frontec.se