[Samba] looping logins

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Sep 17 09:31:01 GMT 2002

I have a VERY worrying situation.  This is all SAMBA_2_2_5 with ldap.  I have a
SAMBA PDC with several SAMBA servers and loads of WindowsXP workstations.  The SAMBA
servers and XP Pcs are all joined into the PDC domain.  Logging on the PDC is
..../%m.log so that I get a log for each PC.

When I look at the cpu usage on the PDC system one process is continuouly using 25%.
If I set debug level 10 there is continuous output to one PC's log file.  I am not
good at working out what exectly is happening but it appears that there are repeated
login attempts for one user from that PC (in any event, SAMBA keeps looking up the
user's ldap entry, successfully). I look at the PC and it is sitting on the XP login
window waiting to be given a username and password.  If I re-boot the PC the problem
moves to another PC which is just sitting on the XP login window. The same username
all the time, though it is now a different unix process ID.

I can't start to imagine what is going on.  Help please.

Phil.