[Samba] domain users' permissions

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Tue Sep 17 07:13:00 GMT 2002

Montag den 16.09.2002 um 20:47 CEST  +0200, schrieb Greg K:
> Hello Samba users...
>
> I am new to the samba list, so if this question has
> been solved before, I apologize, & would someone be
> kind enough to direct me to the location of an answer?
>
> I am using Samba 2.2.5 on RedHat 7.3. I have it setup
> as PDC on Win98 network. When a user logs into the
> domain, authentication works fine and the login script
> executes properly, however, everything else the user
> tries to do after login is done as user nobody (guest
> account). guest only is set to no. guest ok is set to
> yes on all shares.

You have to make sure that a unix account and a smbpasswd account with
the _same_ name is setup correctly, or setup a "map user table", which
do a "translation" between WindowUserName and UnixUserName.

Than, insiede the share definition, do not use "force user".

If this isn't the solution, you have to make your samba verbose to the
syslog or logfiles, and check for a complete authentication with a w9x
client.

It is very helpful, if you check your setup with "testparm" and
validate this values against "man smb.conf". It takes a little bit of
time, but you get an idea, how samba can setup. The testparm check the
whole smb.conf _and_ write _all_ variables to stdout, not only the
configure in the conf file, also those, which are setup via internal
default.

--
Frank Matthieß                                          fm at Microdata-pos.de