[Samba] Small Problem has me Pulling my Hair out

William Daugherty maisis00 at msn.com
Tue Sep 17 01:17:01 GMT 2002

Hello,

I am sorry to write into you guys so late but I am baffled here.  I had this
SAMBA server blasting along a month ago with a DOMAIN at my NOC in Austin.
Then I brought it to a new site and it no worky.  Yes, the DOMAIN is
different and I have been battling all day to reconfigure this thing to the
domain.  I have lost the battle and have reverted to basic configs which
still do not work.  I could use a second or third set of eyes because
regardless of what I do I can not seem to see what the frell is wrong here.

I have dropped back to the most basic of configs because I am going nuts.
Here is a copy of my smb.conf
================
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.fictx.net (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/09/16 18:10:57

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = FICMX
       name = pen-pen

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       guest ok = yes
       path = \home
       valid users = root %S
       read only = no
====================

Very simple.  I need to see what shares are available so I do the following
at the UNIX command.

to see the available hosts and I get the following output.

====================
[root at pen-pen samba]#smbclient -L pen-pen
added interface ip=10.2.5.10 bcast=10.2.5.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[FICMX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]

       Sharename      Type      Comment
       ---------      ----      -------
       homes          Disk      Home Directories
       IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.1a)
       ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.1a)

       Server               Comment
       ---------            -------
       PEN-PEN              Samba Server

       Workgroup            Master
       ---------            -------
       FICMX                PEN-PEN
====================

So it tells me that the share "homes" is available but when I attempt to
connect for a test I receive the following.

====================
[root at pen-pen samba]#smbclient //pen-pen/homes
added interface ip=10.2.5.10 bcast=10.2.5.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[FICMX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.1a]
tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share
name)

I also get no appearance of the shares when I try to connect to it from a
windows clien.  I can see the machine pen-pen existing in the workgroup
FICMX but that is it.  It shows that there are no shares available.

Any thoughts other than eat a gun would be helpful. ;)  Thanks in avance.

Bill