[Samba] Novell vs Linux.

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Mon Sep 16 17:14:00 GMT 2002

At 12:35 PM Monday, 9/16/2002, Trevor Fraser wrote -=>
>experience.  I was approached with the question of why should a company
>consider changing from Novel to Linux, but due to the fact of knowing little
>about Novel, I could only mention the pros of Linux, and therefore an
>incomplete answer.  I would appreciate brief advantages of Linux over Novel.

I have a somewhat heterogeneous environment here and utilize both.  I have
no windows servers.

I use my linux box as an email server, a list server, an ftp server.  I got
my CNE before I started to learn linux and as a result,  we use one Novel
machine as a firewall and web cache with BorderManager.  One other serves
as the main file and print server.

As I see it, the one major advantage for us with Novell is NDS.  We use it
fairly extensively to handle rights to network resources.

Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
Let us be of good cheer, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are
those which never happen. -James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)