[Samba] 2.2.5/PDC Problem

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Sep 16 14:51:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 10:30, Steve Dannaway wrote:
> I'm new to Samba (and relatively new to Linux itself), so please be gentle.
> I'm running 2.2.5-1 on RH7.3 and I have it setup and running as a WINS
> server and I would like to get it up and running as a PDC for my Win2K
> environment.  I've searched the archives, followed the documentation from
> samba.org and a few other books on Samba itself and I cannot get a Win2K
> machine to log into the PDC.  My lone NT4 machine does not have this
> problem, but Win2k constantly gives me the message:
>
>  "No Mapping was done between User IDs and Security IDs"

Did you add machine accounts to smbpasswd and passwd?
Is your root account able to log in to samba?
Have you set up a user mapping between Adminstrator and root using the
username map global conf setting?

What version of samba are you running? (i recommend you wait for 2.2.6
unless you're comfortable patching 2.2.5)
What is the backed - ldap, passwd/smbpasswd, winbind?
What SP level are the 2k machines?
Are these new users or did you try to migrate the user profiles from a
windows server? (you can't just copy the files)
What do the samba logs say?

brad