[Samba] Samba 2.2.5, ACLs and try to add a user

Michał Nazarewicz (dk Group) m.nazarewicz at dkgroup.com.pl
Mon Sep 16 13:48:01 GMT 2002

Dear List,

I am writing to you because you are now my only hope. I've been trying
to set up SAMBA with my brand-new ACL-enabled kernel for the whole
weekend and I have almost succeeded. I can read and modify ACLs set up
via setfacl on my Windows machine.

However, when I want to add a user, and assign some rights to this user,
the windows prompts me to enter user name that I'd like to add and then
wants me to click on the "check name" button. When I do it, it opens yet
another pop-up window (of "enter username and password" type), which
says:

Enter the name and password of an account with permissions for
[servername].

I don't know what this is, I am trying to enter root's password, my own
password... it just let's me enter anything I want and then another
pop-up window says that "object named [servername]\user123 cannot be
found". Windows asks me to check the entered name and... nothing.

Please help, as I don't know what to do for those ACLs to be working!

PS. This Linux machine is not an PDC or BDC or anything. It's just plain
file server. We don't have any other windows servers in our
organization, unly sambas of various version.

With kind regards,

Michal Nazarewicz