[Samba] Winbind breaking my head ...

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Mon Sep 16 11:32:01 GMT 2002

Looks like you've got a typo. See below:

At 12:28 16/09/2002 +0100, Ash Green wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been fighting with winbind for about 3 weeks now trying to get the
>damn thing to work properly, and I'm within a gnat's whisker of getting it
>going, but there's something I'm missing.  Please - has someone got
>winbind working out there?!?!
>
>I'm running a RH 7.3, with the latest version of Samba from samba.org
>installed, and the installation included the -with-winbind flag.
>
>I can retrieve user & group lists from my NT4 PDC, but when I try to
>authenticate via wbinfo I get :
>
>[ash at LTSP ash]$ wbinfo -a DOMAIN+test%tester
>plaintext password authentication succeeded
>challenge/response password authentication failed
>Could not authenticate user DOMAIN+test%tester with challenge/response
>
>The contents of my login file (in /etc/pam.d) are :
>auth       required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
>auth       required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
>auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
>auth       suffieient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so shadow nullok
>use_first_pass

Don't know whether this is just a typo in the email but in the line above
you've got 'suffieient', surely this should be 'sufficient'.

)
>And (nearly done) the dump in the messages file gives me :
>Sep 16 09:43:29 LTSP pam_winbind[23713]: user 'DOMAIN+test' granted access
>Sep 16 09:43:29 LTSP login[23713]: Permission denied
>
>It seems as though the winbind part is working fine, but some of the
>following modules are forcing it to reject the login.  I've toyed with
>using the 'optional' flags on the pam_stack and pam_unix.so auth
>statements, but just succeeded in locking myself out.
>
>Any ideas?  I've got this demon lab that's working ace, but can't let the
>kids onto it yet as I've no time to manage 2 sets of login details.
>
>The only other thought I had at the end of last week was whether my PDC
>was supporting challenge/response - although I am led to believe that this
>is the default for NT.  I've double checked and this seems to be working fine.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ash
>
>*************
>Ash Green
>ICT Project Development Co-ordinator
>Lathom High School
>Glenburn Road
>Skelmersdale
>WN8 6JN
>01695.725653

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net     www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.
j.s.dean at ex.ac.uk     www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.
root at deanuk.net     www.deanuk.net