[Samba] samba speed optimization

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 15 10:26:00 GMT 2002

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 06:43:07PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote about 'Re: [Samba] samba speed optimization':
> > Eero Volotinen wrote:
>
> > > Hi All!
>
> > > Any ideas to config file to get more speed to samba filesharing,
> > > I am already using following in smb.conf:
> You might want to read the docs on this topic:
>
> If you're using 2.2:
> docs/textdocs/Speed.txt
> docs/textdocs/Speed2.txt
>
> or for 3.0alpha19:
> docs/html/Speed.html

That file is *really* out of date, and most of the comments
(particularly regarding defaults) are *way* out of date.

Basically, Samba comes fully optimized for almost everything straight
out of the box - the only stuff worth 'adding' is where local knowledge
(this share is read only on client and server, so we can give fake
oplocks) assists you.

'Tweaking' your Samba server will generally slow you down...

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net