[Samba] samba speed optimization

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 15 08:43:00 GMT 2002

Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Any ideas to config file to get more speed to samba filesharing,
> I am already using following in smb.conf:
>
>     log level = 1

This is good - we can spend a *lot* of time in logfile calls.

Consider recompiling your smbd with -DMAX_DEBUG_LEVEL 0, (but then you
loose debugging, and it won't gain you much.  This may only exist in
HEAD).

>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

>     read raw = yes
>     write raw = yes

These are not used by modern clients, and are default anyway...

>     oplocks = yes
>     max xmit = 65535
>     dead time = 15
>     getwd cache = yes

Likewise, this is actually the default...

>     lpq cache = 30

Anyway, why do you need more speed?  No, it's not actually a silly
question - what do you think is your bottleneck?

Depending on what your problem is, you can gain from a better mangling
implementation (however this is more often a correctness, rather than a
performance issue).  Set 'mangling method = hash2'.  This is now the
default in HEAD.

You could also wait a little while, till jra gets the new sendfile()
code going (again, in HEAD) - for what is claimed to be a 10-15%
performance improvement.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org