[Samba] Print Capture problem

Steve Thom samba at steventhom.com
Sat Sep 14 17:40:01 GMT 2002

Not a Samba issue per se, but I hope someone can help.

I just rolled out a Samba 2.2.5 RH7.3 box for a client. He uses a DOS
architectural package that only prints to LPT1 or LPT2. He has a locally
attached laser printer on LPT1, a couple of network attached plotters that I
want to use on LPT2. The client software is Win98 SE.

I wrote a couple of batch files that went like this:

net use lpt2 /delete
net use lpt2 \\server\1050c

and

net use lpt2 /delete
net use lpt2 \\server\oce

Seemed clever enough to me, he clicks the corresponding icon on the desktop
to toggle which plotter is available. After one or two times, he gets the
following error:

"This device does not exist on the network. reading device
Abort, Retry, Fail?"

The same batch files work flawlessly on 2000 or 98 first edition clients.

It's not connectivity related, the WINS seems to be doing it's job, the
client can still ping by server name. I can also map shared folders from the
command line, but no printer captures.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve