[Samba] Samba 2.23 ACL support ?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Sep 13 17:40:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 1
> From: "Narkar, Aashish (CAP, GCF)" <Aashish.Narkar at gecapital.com>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:55:48 +0200
> Subject: [Samba] Samba 2.23 ACL support ?

> 1) Installed linux and got samba 2.2.3a running on it
> 2) was able to create shares and access it from NT/2000
> 3) was able to add users dynamically
> 4) installed printers and shared it properly
>
> But, I am wondering, before moving to live,
>
> a)	About ACL support on NT and how to simulate same thing on samba?

You need a kernel that supports ACLs, and you need to have samba
compiled with ACL support.

Some distros (such as Mandrake 8.1 and later) ship with kernels that
support ACLs on XFS, some (I think SuSE) support ACLs on ext3, Mandrake
9.0 for example should support ACLs on both. The XFS team provides a
replacement 1st CD for Redhat that supports ACLs, but I am not sure if
they compile samba with ACL support or not.

> b)	Also how can i add users with all groups they are in it on the fly?

Global groups (beyond Domain Admin and Domain User) are not supported on
2.2.x, but apparently they can be had by using tools from 3.0alpha on
the 2.2.x server (smbgroupedit I think it was then, may have changed
since then).

> c)	Using winbind how can I solve problems of ACLs??

You can't run winbind against a samba-2.2.x (well, at least any of the
recent ones) DC. So, you are going to have to keep profiles on domain
controllers, so your best bet is to use samba with LDAP backend, so you
can have multiple DCs.

Using LDAP on the backend will also allow any domain admin to add
machines to the domain (as opposed to only root when using the smbpasswd
file).

> As this project has got tight deadlines, I will be very much grateful to
> you, if you can help me solve these probs.

Then your best bet is probably to take the shortest route to getting
ACLs and LDAP support. You can get samba RPMs for Mandrake 8.2 compiled
for LDAP with ACL support from ftp.samba.org.

Buchan