[Samba] OT - LPD for Windows ...

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 13 16:56:02 GMT 2002

C.Lee Taylor wrote:
> John Benedetto wrote:
>
>> If you are running HP printers, with the built-in jetdirect cards, HP
>> has software you can run to print directly to the printers.  HP
>> JetAdmin, I think. You should be able to find it on the HP site.
>
>     It's cheaper for me to find old PC's and turn them into headless
> print servers using Linux than get HP JetDirect solutions.

Well, Linksys print servers are much cheaper, they are supposed to
support LPD, and they have worked reliably for us (but we haven't
exercised their LPD function a lot):

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/printserv.pdf

If you get one of the ones that have a built-in Ethernet switch, you can
just pop that bad boy under the user's desk, and not have to use up
another wall jack.