[Samba] sid_to_uid: Domain controller lookup missing

Christopher Odenbach odenbach at hni.uni-paderborn.de
Fri Sep 13 13:45:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

trying to investigate my xfs-acl problem I think I have found the
missing part:

In smbd/uid.c the function "sid_to_uid" resolves SIDs to unix user
names. This is done as follows:

- First the domain part of the SID is compared to the local domain (if
the SID belongs to the samba server it can be resolved locally)
- In any other cases winbindd is asked

This works well if the samba server is the domain controller, but it
seems to fail when an NT 4 Server is used as password server.

So I suppose there is one step missing in between: If the domain part
of the SID is equal to the domain name (set by the workgroup parameter)
ask a PDC or BDC (set by the password server parameter or magically
found out with *).

Something with cli_lsa_lookup_sids() seems to be helpful, just as in
rpcclient.

Am I totally wrong?

Greets,

Christopher