[Samba] Roaming profiles

Ronald rmar at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 13 10:25:00 GMT 2002

Iam trying to setup a samba PDC. Everything works just fine when I log
in with the root account on one of my workstations. But when I logon
with a normal user account I get the following message:

Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of
this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If
this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
DETAIL - The network name cannot be found.

A stripped down version of my smb.conf is like this:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home/U%
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no

        [profiles]
        comment = Roaming profiles directory
        path = /home/samba/profiles/U%
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0775

logon home = \\%L\%U\Win-profile
logon drive = h:
logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%a\%U

What am I doing wrong? I can see that samba made a profile directory in
de users homedir, but I think it has somethink to to with read/write
acces...Iam using windows XP (without SP1), and a debian server.

Greetz Ronald.