[Samba] Profiles XP and Service Pack 1

Hans Wurst WasteBin at gmx.ch
Fri Sep 13 07:02:01 GMT 2002

Hi Andrew, Hi list

thank you very much for your comment, after changing the ownership of the
profile files on the server to an domain admin everything works fine again.
So, the
quick solution is working smoothly.

It leaves the following questions:
Either we give every user his/her own private group and set the file
ownership for
the profile to  admin.privategroup, or everybody can modify other people's
profiles. Or we change the setup to winbind, which possibly results in the
same
user having different userids on different samba servers - not a solution
for us,
because we mirror all servers to a backup server and expect the userids to
be
consistent.
Is there a solution for this (i.e. a fancy way to ensure consistent unix
uids on
different serves even when running winbind)? What happens if /etc/passwd
/etc/shadow /etc/group are copied from a server running  winbind to other
samba
servers (not running winbind)?
Maybe the private unix groups is the way to go for the moment.
Again, thanks a lot

HW

http://www.gmx.net