[Samba] smbclient & server list

Gamid Isayev gamid at isayev.net
Thu Sep 12 21:41:41 GMT 2002

I'm using smbclient to obtain server list for particular workgroup/domain.
Let say 'testserv1' is master browser for domain 'TEST', so command is:

smbclient -L testserv1 -U%

It works fine with Samba 2.2.3a:

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         LAB-PC
         NET-APP-01
         NET-APP-02
         TESTSERV1
         SQLSERV

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         ENGTEST              ENGTEST1
         TEST                 TESTSERV1

But when I installed Samba 3.0 alpha19, it breaks:

         Sharename      Type      Comment
         ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------

I checked what is in the NetServerEnum request packet and only
difference is Samba 2.2.3a sends request to port 139, but Samba 3.0
alpha19 sends request to port 445.
Then I set iptables to block outgoing connections to port 445, so Samba
3.0 alpha19 can't send request to port 445 and it forces Samba to send
request to port 139. After this Samba shows server list.

Questions:
1) how I can force smbclient to send request to port 139 using command
line options or smb.conf?
2) any other way to obtain server list?