[Samba] Re: VFS Virus Scanner idea...

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Sep 12 21:33:01 GMT 2002

On "samba-digest" there appeared a message containing:

 > Message: 23
 > Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:40:04 -0500
 > To: "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org>
 > From: "Aaron D." <lists at aaronsplace.org>
 > Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
 > Subject: [Samba] Re: VFS Virus Scanner idea...
 >
 > Chris;
 >
 > I am not personally aware of any open source solutions for server based
 > virus protection and detection on LINUX,

http://www.openantivirus.org/

It has started to develop "samba-vscan". They say:

   samba-vscan (on-access virus scanning with Samba)
   samba-vscan is a proof-of-concept module for Samba, which uses the VFS
   (virtual file system) features of Samba 2.2.x/3.0 alphaX. Of couse,
   Samba has to be compiled with VFS support. It currently works only with
   FRISK F-Prot Daemon, Kaspersky AntiVirus, mks32, OpenAntiVirus
   ScannerDaemon, Sophos Sweep, Symantec CarrierScan or Trend Micro. The
   latest release is 0.2.5e. samba-vscan is maintained by Rainer Link.

No personal experienc made with samba-vscan.

Cheers,
Kurt