[Samba] OT - LPD for Windows ...

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Thu Sep 12 16:45:01 GMT 2002

--On Thursday, September 12, 2002 5:20 PM +0200 Malte Starostik
<malte at starostik.de> wrote:

> Windows NT, 2k, XP have something like a "UNIX printer support" driver
> or what's it called. AFAIK it's an lpd implementation, but not idea
> whether client or server or both. I never used it, just remember having
> seen it. Maybe you could try that one, it's in somewhere in Windows
> Setup (look for network stuff)
>
> HTH,
> -Malte

In NT4, it's a service (I think) you need to add in the network setup.
Then, add a new TCP/IP printer port in the add printer dialogs.

When I have done the same thing in W2K, add a new local printer (uncheck
the Auto detect P&P printer box), Create a new port, and choose "Standard
TCP/IP Port".

Don't know anything about XP.

As for Win9x, we have used LPR Spooler by Thomas Heil.  This package was
purchased by our Campus Computing people as part of a software suite.  I
don't know about any free implementations (not that they don't exist, just
that I don't know of any).

- john

<SNIP>