[Samba] Major Printing Failure Problem

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Sep 12 16:34:00 GMT 2002

Kevin Bramblett wrote on samba-digest:

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:22:27 -0500
> From: Kevin Bramblett <kbramblett at dssresearch.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Major Printing Failure Problem
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Samba 2.2.3a on a Redhat Linux 7.2 Intel server as a
> printserver on a W2K PDC network.  I have a Xerox 440 printer, an HP
> 4500 PS and an HP 4550 PS printer using my Samba printserver.
>
> I am often receiving the following error message:
>
> ERROR: syntaxerror
> OFFENDING COMMAND:
>
> STACK:

This looks like the Win client has used a "PostScript Level 3" setting
in their driver, while the HP printers might only understand Level 2.
Also, try to set it to "Optimized for Portability" instead of "Optimized
for Speed".

> at which point printing stops and the printers start saying TIMEOUT.
> Sometimes I can reprint missing pages,

Do you print from the same client in these cases with the same driver
settings?

> but sometimes I can not print the
> document at all, no matter what I do.  We are using lprng
>
> Has anyone heard of this problem?

Yes, this can be reprodused at will in a pure Windows environment too,
with the wrong settings in the driver and a document utilizing heavily
Level 3 PostScript stuff...

No fault of Unix nor LPRng nor Samba here....  :-)