[Samba] Samba/smbpasswd/LDAP question

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Sep 12 14:43:00 GMT 2002

I have my smb.conf configured - I believe - properly to talk to my LDAP
server:

ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=MYDOMAIN,dc=com"
ldap server = ldap.MYDOMAIN.com
ldap port = 389
ldap ssl = off

But if I try to set a password using smbpasswd, it seems to think it
wants to connect to localhost (and fails):

# smbpasswd -D 99 -a dballing
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Trying to load: ldapsam
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match ldapsam (ldapsam)
Found pdb backend ldapsam (at pos 4)
pdb backend ldapsam has a valid init
Trying to load: tdbsam
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match tdbsam (tdbsam)
Found pdb backend tdbsam (at pos 2)
pdb backend tdbsam has a valid init
Trying to load: unixsam
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match unixsam (unixsam)
Found pdb backend unixsam (at pos 6)
pdb backend unixsam has a valid init
ldapsam_open_connection: ldap://localhost
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=admin,dc=byramhealthcare,dc=com"
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server

Anyone know anything about this, and what I need to do to make this
work properly?

| Derek J. Balling             | "You can get more with a kind  |
| dredd at megacity.org           |  word and a two-by-four, than  |
| www.megacity.org/blog/       |  you can with just a kind      |
|                              |  word."               - Marcus |