[Samba] Excel oplocks issue?

Diego Tironi diegotironi at topgraf.it
Thu Sep 12 13:52:01 GMT 2002

Hi
Sometimes I'am unable to save files from MS Excel to a Samba server.
This behaviour appear randomly on my win2k clients.
Looking at samba log files I see:

[2002/09/10 10:25:53, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_lockingX(4387)
  reply_lockingX: Error : oplock break from client for fnum = 13846 and no
oplock granted on this file (directory/file.xls).

After inserting option
oplocks = false
in my smb.conf I have no more error messages in my log file, but the issue
still persist.
Also tuning oplocks related parameters doesn't make difference.
I have find this issue with this samba versions:
2.2.6pre2 (source from samba.org)
2.2.5-1 (rpm from samba.org)
2.2.3a-6.i386 (rpm from redhat 7.3)

Thank you very much for your patience.