[Samba] installing samba 2.2.5 -- no luck...any ideas?

Greg Dyche gdyche at nmhs.org
Thu Sep 12 13:42:00 GMT 2002

Since it is AIX, I have the option of installing via RPM or via normal
configure/make/install.  I switch to RPM and was told that I was missing a
prereq -- libreadline.a.  This isn't a normal library, so I started to look
around, and it also is a RPM.  After installing the RPM "readline" and then
"samba", everything appears to be okay.

When performing the configure/make/install, configure would check for fnctl
(which was present) and say that fnctl wasn't found.  I don't know why it
wouldn't recognize fnctl, but it wouldn't no mater what flags I gave it.

There was a note in the AIX RPM readme about linking dynamically or
something.  To be honest I didn't go into it in detail because I had the RPM
option available to through the AIX Linux toolbox; however, the readme spoke
about linking with LDFLAGS="-wl, -brtl" so the compile would use .so files.

Good luck and thanks for your responses.  It did give me the idea of using
the RPMs which gave me the info needed to go forward.

Again thanks, Greg
gdyche at nmhs.org