[Samba] LDAP PDC problems

Edoardo Causarano edoardocausarano at tin.it
Thu Sep 12 13:16:00 GMT 2002

Hello there,

I'm running 2.2.5 compiled with ACL and LDAP auth. The PDC used to work
flawlessly using smbpasswd but I want to dual boot the workstations to
Linux so I need a centralized LDAP authentication repository.

Once I reinstalled the LDAPized samba I started populating the directory
with the "well-known" identities using the smbldap tools (bear in mind
I'm more of a UNIX guy so these MSisms are a bit of a black magic to
me). Following that I started using smbldap-useradd to insert the users
in the domain, chowning their homes to the new UNIX uids and wile I was
at it, moved the profiles to a separate place in the filesystem (the
profile used to be in unix HOME; worked fine but docs said it gives
problems so I followed instructions).

The situation is as follows:
Users no longer have unix private group, their primary group is 100
(Users) which is default in those tools and logon to the NT4 machines is
ok and attribute mapping is fully turned on (hoped this would cure the
sync briefcase becoming a regular dir after roaming logoff/login).
File/Directory masks are all 0777.

I'm experiencing many problem with this configuration so please give me
some hints (documentation pointers if necessary): MS Office keeps
popping up the registration initials/username window as if is had been
run for the first time (often locking up). Printing no longer works, eg.
Acrobat 5 asks to define a default printer before proceeding but the
control panel wizard refuses to run. Outlook express asks to choose a
user profile from an empty list and creation of a new one fails. Homes
drive mapping no longer works. Accounts belonging to Domain Admins group
work ok.

I'm not near the machines ATM, but I suspect it's the primary group
that's @ fault; perhaps it sould be Domain Users. Can you confirm this
or is there something worse @ play?

Ciao,
Edo