[Samba] Browse Master Election

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Thu Sep 12 13:06:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:25:13AM +0100, Kristyan Osborne wrote:

> A weird problem ... My PDC is running samba 3.0 cvs from a couple of
> weeks ago. the os level is set to 65 and that machine has been the
> master for my domain for ages, until last night. A win2k client machine
> stoll the domain and made itself the master for the domain, hence a few
> problems. I have cranked the os level to 80, however I'm pretty sure
> that is not supported/a bad idea/not to be done sort of thing.

There should be no problem with an os level of 80.  IIRC, it can
be set as high as 255.

But, the real issue is why the Windows 2000 system "stole" the
job of domain master browser, because setting the os level higher
than 65 shouldn't keep it from doing so.  The most likely explanation
is that something went wrong with your nmbd daemon.  If it stopped
acting as the master browser, a system on your network would have
called for a browser election, and that would have resulted in some
other system taking on the role.  In other words, not "stole", but
"taken". ;)

If it happens again, I'd suggest first running the smbcontrol command
to force an election:

	# smbcontrol nmbd force-election

If that doesn't return the domain master browser role to Samba, then
I'd restart nmbd.

Jay Ts