[Samba] Help with samba control m

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Wed Sep 11 22:37:01 GMT 2002

--On Wednesday, September 11, 2002 2:02 PM -0700 Mark.F.Williams at kp.org
wrote:

> New to the Samba world.  I am getting a control M at the end of line for =
> each file I am transfering to the share from  98/NT machines.  Any special
> =
> things I need to do so this will not happen??????????????
>
> Help Please !!
>
> --

This is happening because you are sharing text files between a Un*x system
and DOS (well, Windows; same thing for this discussion).  One uses a CR and
the other users a CR/LF between lines. (CR=carriage return, LF=line feed).

Before you ask, NO, there is no way for Samba to automagically do anything
about it, any more than there would be for a "real" Windows server to do
anything about it.  Some Windows programs are smart enough to deal with it
(wordpad vs. notepad, fer' instance).

There are any of a number of converters, and ways to convert, if you are
going to be doing this on a regular basis.  On the Unix side, there are
programs available, or small shell scripts  you can run.

Here is a snippet that is supposed to work (courtesy of the UGU list, I
have never tried it myself):

ANOTHER DOS ^M Solution
To remove "^M" from DOS files you can also
use this command at the prompt:

tr -d "\015" < filename1 > filename2

HTH
- john