[Samba] runaway samba, non-responsive daemons

Joshua Weage weage98 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 14:30:01 GMT 2002

I just experienced something very similar yesterday and today on HP-UX.
 Samba brought my 8 CPU, 8 GB ram server to a halt.

I have added in the 'max smbd processes' parameter into my config file
to hopefully prevent it in the future.

My guess as to the problem: occasionally when my server is very loaded,
it has NFS timeouts.  Could this cause samba to hang if it is serving
an NFS mounted directory?

I have changed the path in the shares so it points to the real disk,
not an NFS mount, but I don't know if this has fixed the problem.

Josh

=====
--
--  <http://origin.me.gatech.edu/~weage>    --