[Samba] Cups printers troubles

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Wed Sep 11 13:14:01 GMT 2002

Ok... here we go,

I have a server running RH 7.3, samba 2.2.3a, and CUPS 1.1.14.  All the
printers we have are networked printers sitting off of Linksys
printservers.  On this server I am sharing all off our printers out via
Samba.  See my smb.conf file below.  This server works perfectly.  All
printers are shared out successfully.

Primary CUPS server:
[global]
        workgroup = NEW
        security = DOMAIN
        server string = Samba Server v.2.2.3a
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log
        max log size = 0
        printcap name = cups
        os level = 30
        printing = cups
        load printers = yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        printer admin = @ntadm,root

Then... I have another server I want to configure as my CUPS backup
printing server.  This PC is running RH 7.2, samba 2.2.3a, and CUPS
1.1.14.  I've installed all printers exactly the same as on the primary
CUPS server.  The problem I am haiving is that samba is having trouble
sharing out my printers right.  What I see in Network Neighborhood
 under this PC is my two shares, and they are ok, then my printers which
 are not ok.  My printers have the names like "}", "DAEMON = cupsd",
"else", and "fi".  Like it is reading code instead of my acual printer
names.  This is really perplexing because I have the same smb.conf setup
for this server as the primary CUPS server that is working.  See below...

Secondary CUPS server:
[global]
        workgroup = NEW
        server string = Samba Server v.2.2.3a
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log
        max log size = 0
        printcap name = cups
        os level = 30
        printing = cups
        load printers = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = @ntadm,root
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

Something from the logs:
Sep 11 07:35:43 retainer smbd[1997]: [2002/09/11 07:35:43, 0]
printing/pcap.c:pcap_printername_ok(288)
Sep 11 07:35:43 retainer smbd[1997]:   Unable to open printcap file cups
for read!

- This is not a message i need to be seeing... how do i fix it?

Anyways..... if someone knows what the heck I am doing wrong please feel
free to let me know.

Matt