[Samba] problem saving word documents

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 11 12:37:01 GMT 2002

Johan Coenen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thought I posted this already two weeks ago. Haven't seen any reactions
> yet, so I post it again
>
> We got the following problem here:
> Every now and then, users are unable to save Word or Excel documents on our
> Samba server. We already tried a couple of things: disabling oplocks,
> increasing oplock break wait time, putting the documents on a new share,
> ... but to no success so far.
>
> The problem seems difficult to reproduce, but we do have one log level 10
> file and a tcpdump.
>
> the only errors we get in the logs are one or more of the following:
>
> - read_data: read failure 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
> ( lib/util_sock.c:read_data(434) )

Your client reset the connection.  Possible network issues.

> - Error: oplock break from client and no oplock granted on this file
> ( smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(761) )
>
> - oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file ...
> ( smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(833) )
>
> - oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
> ( smbd/reply.c:reply_lockingX(4480) )

Your client 'went away'.  Possible network issues.

> - Panic: failed to set gid
> ( lib/util_sec.c:assertgid(111)
>    lib/util.c:smb_panic(1092) )

Fix this.  If samba every 'panics' then it is terminating itself with
extreme prejudice.  You *will* corrupt files - if your program doesn't
like having a half-rewritten file.

Samba is changing to a new group id, but when it double-checked, it had
not changed.  Do any of your users or groups have negitive GIDs?

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net