[Samba] WG: troubles deleting lots of files

abartlet at dp.samba.org abartlet at dp.samba.org
Wed Sep 11 11:08:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 08:29:30AM +0200, debinskir at post.ch wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i encountered a very strange problem and hope that someone out there knows a solution. that is, when i'm deleting several tousand files with a batch script on a samba share, windows says: "the system could not find the path specified" and deletes just approximatly one third of the files. this only occures if i'm delete explicitly from a dos shell using E:\>del *.pdf. if i mark all files in the explorer and click on delete it works fine.

The problem is name mangling.  A lot of your files share
the same first 5 characters in their name.  In Samba 2.2,
with the default name mangling scheme, this means that a
number of your files actualy have the name mangled name...

(We get hash collisions, but only the command prompt uses
the short names, hence why explorer works)

The code in Samba HEAD and 2.2.5 adds a new mangling scheme
and is *much* better at this.  It's default in HEAD, and
'managling method = hash2' gets you it in 2.2.5

Andrew Bartlett