[Samba] Runaway nmbd Process - Help!

John Blue jblue at bestpond.com
Wed Sep 11 05:22:01 GMT 2002

I am running SuSE V 8 with KDE 3 and had a memory problem when the
screen would lose icons, taskbars etc. I am very much a newbie and
everything was going along smoothly, even managed to get Cups up and
running and printing across the small Lan to a windows printer.

The problem is being caused by nmbd starting up in a loop causing
dozens of instances to run each with their own PID until such time as
memory is exhausted (I have 512Mb Ram and wondered what was
happening).

Samba was running OK until this happened. I have managed to kill all
nmbd processes. If I reboot this starts again, I have also shutdown
and powered off, restarting again and the cycle goes on.

I noted in the small console window on startup an error message: nmbd
is already running.