[Samba] Getting Win98/95 machines to connect

Jay jpaulson at lbjs.com
Tue Sep 10 22:04:01 GMT 2002

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to Samba but I've got it setup on my Linux box here and all
the Win2k machines can see it fine.  When the Win2k user browses the network
they can see the Linux box double click it and then they are prompted for a
username and password.  They don't enter any and click "Ok" and poof they
have access to the shared directories i have created.

However, this is different for Win98/95 machines that try to connect.  They
go through the same process to get to the Linux box and then they double
click on it.  Then they are prompted for only the password.  Of course
there's no password or anything, but they get a connection refused error.

I've been reading the docs but honestly they are a bit over whelming to try
and find exactly what I'm looking for.  Please let me know if there is
anything about the configuration that I need to share with you all so I can
get this fixed asap!

Thanks!