[Samba] problem saving word documents

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Sep 10 21:47:01 GMT 2002

The default for samba appears to be to optimize speed, not reliability.
So, oplocks are enabled by default.
OPLOCKS ARE A BAD IDEA. MS THOUGHT THEM UP, I think.  One poster wrote
previously that oplocks in an all windows environment caused headaches. Do
you know what they are? A client caches a file locally on his machine,
that's what. Then, if there is an interrruption of communication with
the server, the updated file never get written back properly (the oplock
is taken away from the client), and data corruption results.

Use every thing you can to increase reliablity.  Disable oplocks and read
about syncing. There is nothing that decreases performance like data
corruption.

Joel