[Samba] For developers (and for users "Solve from MS - network disk - lost connection")

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Tue Sep 10 17:36:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:05:05PM +0400, Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:
> Hello, Gerald.
>
> GJC> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:
>
> >> Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not send an SMB Logoff & X command when
> >> an SMB session is disconnected from an SMB server that does not
> >> understand Microsoft Windows NT status codes. This includes certain UNIX
> >> servers such as Linux that is running Samba SMB Server, Microsoft
> >> Windows 98, Microsoft Lan Manager, and so on.
>
> GJC> SAMBA_2_2 does support NT status codes.  This bug does not apply to us.
> GJC> The KB article is wrong.
> Ok, according to Microsoft related article, we must set
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\EnableDownLevelLogOff to "1"
> for enabling sending of SMB Logoff & X command!!!
> I check it tomorrow and send results after that.

I just looked at the KB article - interesting. We do handle NT status
codes, but it's possible that WXP looks at more than just the NT status
code bit to decide whether to do this. I'd believe what I see on the
wire much more than what I read in a KB article :-).

The other interesting point is from this followup article :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q323582

Which is about OS/2 servers but says...

NOTE: Sending Logoff&X SMB affects connections to SAMBA server because it does not handle this SMB well.

I wonder what they can possibly mean by this ? We've been
handling this SMB for about 10 years.... I don't even remember
any bugs w.r.t it over that time.

Oh well - what effect do you see to Samba with and without this
registry setting ?

Jeremy.