[Samba] Joining domain XP

Trevor Fraser trevor at systematic.co.za
Tue Sep 10 11:32:01 GMT 2002

Hello Karen/Owen.

I've recently (this morning on a XP laptop) tried a new-to-me step of joining a domain, it worked first time.  I deleted the previous entries for this PC in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/samba/smbpasswd.  In swat under global in the 'add user script'.  This is an example for a RedHat system, so you must tweak it accordingly.

[global]
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g (a machine trust group that must already exist, like 'machines') -s /bin/false -M %u

Another thing is instead of using root, put a user in 'admin user =' under [global] and use that user to join the domain.

Hope this helps, e-mail me if you want to me to elaborate.

Chow, Trevor.