[Samba] Encrpted Password problem

Deepak deepakt at mercurykr.com
Tue Sep 10 10:55:00 GMT 2002

i tried with the option encrpted password= yes , security = user in my
smb.conf file..
but when i did following on my root prompt
#killall -HUP xinetd
#service smb restart
#smbclient -L localhost
so i get the problem
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw  (bad password name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
i'm not gettin why this is coming. i create the smbpasswd file in
/etc/samba with smbpasswd -a linuxuser
and i open the smbpasswd file it was ok with some encrypted passwd.
but as soon as i change the security as share then no such problem. but
with security = share when i add the passwd by using the command
smbpasswd -a deepak   (deepak is linux user and as well windows machine
name)
then passwd is added in smbpasswd file . but when i try to access from
my windows 2000 machine named deepak then it opens the prompt for the
user name n password. when i enter thee password which i had gived at
the time of creation of deepak user on linux(my password was deepak) and
at the time when i execute the command
smbpasswd -a deepak
but i'm not getting why i try to access the linux machine and after
giving the correct passwd it says incorrect password.
Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.
thanx n regards
Deepak