[Samba] Re: How do I force Samba to update shared printer list? (2.2.6-pre2)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Sep 10 10:51:00 GMT 2002

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> Try : killall -s HUP /usr/sbin/smbd

Apart from the fact that here nothing like this worked here (I tried this
first thing) -- I really need to stop and start the daemon....

...are you saying this is the *default* behaviour, or are you suggesting
it as a quick workaround?

> is causes that smbd rereads its config.

I can cause a *lot* of activity in the samba log files, if I simply hit
the "Update View" (F5) key on any client. It then also goes blank for
a few seconds, before a printer list comes back. However, I always get
the old printer list shown and no update at the end, be it added or deleted
printers... I'd regard it as a bug of my currently used version (if no-one
tells me about a false setting in my smb.conf).

Another point: if one creates individual shares of printers (instead of
using the "load printers = Yes"), the update seems to work (as someone
on the phone told me just now...

> At 11:20 10.09.2002 +0200, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question regarding the visible list of printers in the network
>> neighbourhood of my Samba server, and how to force it to become updated.
>> Maybe one of my settings is wrong? Maybe it is a bug?
>>
>> My problem (short):
>> Adding a new printer in CUPS creats printcap entry within seconds.
>> But becomes not visible in network neighbourhood without re-start of
>> smbd.

Thanks for answering.

Kurt