[Samba] File permissions on public directory

Graham Kettlewell grahamk at uow.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 06:06:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I hope this an appropriate list to post this query to.

I am shaking down a redhat 7.3 file server. It is running samba-2.2.3a-6. I
am using it as the PDC for a windows domain of win95/win89/nt4/win2k boxes.

I have no problem with /home permissions. The umask is set to 022, which is
fine in most cases, and the default ownership is owner:owner.

The exception is /home/pub. I have a symbolic link in everyone's home
directory pointing to this directory. I have a lot of resource files and
custom software under this directory that I have appropriate group access
to, allowing safe sharing of these files. I also have a directory with a set
of excel spreadsheets that everyone needs write access to. I set it up so
that all files are root:root and rw-rw-rw-.

The problem is that everytime a file is saved it has the owner:group changed
to the users default, and file permissions changed according to the umask.
This means that everytime someone saves one of the spreadsheets nobody else
can access them until I set the permissions again.

Any magic wands out there?

Cheers,

Graham Kettlewell
Research assistant