[Samba] Logon Hours with Samba PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 9 22:55:01 GMT 2002

Brian Keats wrote:

> I have been searching for information about implementing Logon Hours with a
> Samba 2.2.5 PDC (or for that matter any version of SAMBA) but haven't yet
> noticed any postings or correspondence.  I have set up a a Samba PDC and
> have mapped shares, authenticated users, blah blah blah, .... everything
> seems to work fine.  I checked with 'rpcclient' to see what sort of
> information is returned from 'rpcclient -c "queryuser [rid]" [server]' and
> did notice 'logon_hrs' and 'Kickoff Time" fields returned so I assumed I
> could specifiy times during a day when a user can/cannot logon to the
> domain.  I then tried using the standard Windows tools "i.e. User Manager
> for Domains" to specifiy logon times but always receive an error "Group Name
> could not be found" when I finally click on Ok.  As a matter of fact, I get
> this error when ever I do click on OK even after just viewing the properties
> of Domain Users.  I can, however specify the account to be disbaled and this
> will disable logon's until I remove the checkbox.   So my question is, is it
> possible to specify LOGON hours and also have I missed something not obvious
> like mapping Domain Users and Domain Admins (RID's) to Unix GID's ?   Hmmm,
> just curious if anyone has ever been able to specify Logon Hours using any
> other tool ...  (or even User Manager for Domains !)
> Would appeciate any feedback either through the mailing list or directly ...

I've not yet got time to code this up.

There are two major requirements:
 - Use a pdb backend that can store login hours (only the experimental
tdbsam supports this at the moment).
   - I need to add this to pdb_ldap.

 - Interperate the login hours during authentication.
   - This is relitivly easy to add to Samba HEAD, but I've just not had
time

Kickoff time, must change time and a few others are already supported
(in HEAD), just not login hours.

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org