[Samba] data corruption with ms-office files on samba 2.2.3a

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon Sep 9 22:53:00 GMT 2002

: Message: 11
: Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:42:26 +0000
: From: jra at dp.samba.org
: To: alexander.notz at starmobility.net
: Cc: samba at samba.org
: Subject: Re: [Samba] data corruption with ms-office files on samba 2.2.3a
:
: On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 05:39:41PM +0200, alexander.notz at starmobility.net wrote:
: > Hi,
: >
: > sometimes a ms-office file (ms word 2k, ms excel 2k) will be destroyed,
: > when the client writes it to the server. The strange thing is, that samba
: > writes parts of its log-files at the top and bottom of the file. Here are
: > the first 2 lines of the destroyed file:

I  had the same problem here with Samba 2.2.2 and two W2Ksp2 clients with
MS Word 2000. After the file corruption there where errors in the log-File for
the clients about problems "not listening for calling name". I wrote a mail
about this to the samba-list (see below).
All SMB-servers one the clients (W2ksp2) where disabled  (=no "file- and print-sharing")
after the services where enabled the error in the log did not appear again and I had no
file corruptions with MS-Word 2000 anymore (but concerns about secuity)
Since then I did not dare to disable the services on the clients again, since the
risk that my collegues lose the work of a whole day because of this corruption
is too high. So: sorry, I can not try to reproduce the problem with the latest Samba
because of this.
Don't know if data corruption for word documents can be caused by the spools
system but I know the problems went away after the clients could "answer" the
samba request.

: >
: > [2002/09/04 17:03:05, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(216)
: >   tb opened file xxx/xx/xx/xxxx/xx xx/filename_TB.doc read=Yes write=Yes
: > (numopen=2)
: >
: > at the bottom samba writes a few times this:
: >
: > [2002/09/04 17:03:28, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(216)
: > <path and filename>
: > [2002/09/04 17:03:28, 2] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(212)
: > <path and filename>
: >
: > Does anybody know this problem or is it fixed in 2.2.5 ?
:
: Can you post your smb.conf file please, I want to check if
: you have the write cache enabled.
:
: Jeremy.

Here the copy of the mail I've send to the list on Jan 29, 2002

>could someone please explain this entries in a smbd.log:
>[2002/01/29 17:08:05, 0] libsmb/cliconnect.c:attempt_netbios_session_request(839)
>  attempt_netbios_session_request: SCRATCHY rejected the session for name *SMBSEVER \
 >with error Not listening on calling name
>[2002/01/29 17:08:05, 0] rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(75)
>  connect_to_client: machine SCRATCHY rejected the NetBIOS session request. Error was code 0
>[2002/01/29 18:31:24, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(318)
> Allowed connection from  (131.246.xx.xx)
>This happened while someone used MS Word 2000 (sp-1, german) on an
>Windows 2000 client (sp-2, german). Word crashed and when the user
>opened his document again it was broken and the text consisted of parts
>of the "log.smbd.scratchy" file and a lot of 'nonsense'. So some parts of the
>internal samba log files are now in the users broken word document file,
>which is frightening.
>Server is a linux box (Kernel 2.4.16) with Samba 2.2.2, compiled with no special options.
>Printing works without problems. The printer setup on the clients was done before
>the new print support.
    (=  spools support, now we use Kernel 2.4.17/i386 and Samba 2.2.6pre2cvs)
>On the clients 'file and print sharing' is disabled in the settings for the network-connection
>for security reasons which my result in the 'not listening' error. As you can see, the next
>entry in the log after the error was more than one hour later after I restartet the
>samba server. Although the user worked with other files on different shares before the
>restart there where no more entries for this in the log for his machine.

I hope this gives a hint to find a solution.

Martin