[Samba] Designjet 1050C, JetDirect question

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Mon Sep 9 19:24:01 GMT 2002

Steve Thom wrote:

> Any problems serving up this plotter with Samba 2.2.4?
>
> I am using RH 7.3, the plotter has a jetdirect card. I am not using samba
> print drivers, just passing it through raw to 192.168.21.50:raw1. Planning
> to let windows 98 clients use their own drivers.

The Jetdirect card use several different protocols, which are you trying to use?

The port number you are using looks like LPR. If that is the case you need LPR
software for Windows 98, it doesn't come with it. LPR prints directly to the
printer.

If you are using HP software, then it prints directly to the printer.

You can also spool through Linux, using the Linux print spooling system, which
means, first the printer must work from inside Linux, then you use Samba to
share the printer.