[Samba] Urgent: Integrating a NAS-Filer in a Samba-PDC controlled domain

Manuel Elgorriaga Kunze linuxadmin at sbszh.ch
Mon Sep 9 14:06:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm using Samba 2.2.5 on SuSE 7.3kKernel 2.4.16 as a PDC for 50 users (soon
80), serving files and CUPS-printqueues for our Win9x boxes. Besides some
occasional, but nonetheles quite irritating, locking-problems, the
Samba-solution works fine and reliable for our pool of about 20 GB of data.
In a few months, we should get new infrastructure and we plan to do
audio-recording directly on NAS-filer through a 100Mbit network.

My problem is now, that none of the NAS-filers of the vendors we've tested
(NetApp, Procom) can be integrated in a Samba-PDC/domain: you can only
choose to use "shared mode" or full integration in a MS-NT-PDC or
MS-Win2k-ADS system. It just doesn't work using a Samba-PDC, no matter what
fine-tuning you try to do, and vendors are well aware of this problem, but
they don't work on it because it's a "very small market" (textual citation
from a discussion). So: anybody does have a commercial NAS-Filer running in
a Samba domain? If not: is it reasonable to buy an Intel-server with a 500
GB RAID-5 SCSI-disk-subsystem, put a Linux kernel >=2.4.16 on it, use
LVM/ext3 with ACL's or LVM/XFS (from SGI, with integrated ACL's) and use it
for simultaneously harddisk recording over the network by up to 10
WinXP-Workstations? What kind of issues should I look for (serverside HW,
SW, configuration)? What problems are likely to occur?

Thank you very much in advance,
Manuel Elgorriaga Kunze

---
Manuel Elgorriaga Kunze, IT Department
Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired
CH - 8047 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: + 41 1 491 25 55, Fax: + 41 1 492 64 75