[Samba] Samba Install

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Mon Sep 9 03:33:00 GMT 2002

 >  I am interested in using your Samba software to interface a Unix server
with our Windows NT workstations.

It does this rather well, as you've probably heard, and why you've come
across this list...

 >  The problem being is that I have very little experience with Unix and
have no idea how to install the Samba program.

The documentation on the samba website ( www.samba.org
<http://www.samba.org> ) is a great place to start, also check out some of
the
excellent books available, personally I'd recommend "Using Samba" by Richard
Sharpe, Tim Potter & Jim Morris,
for a newbie to Samba it will point you in the right direction, and you
won't have to worry about trying to think of
the right question to ask to get the answer you need.

> I have downloaded the software but am unfamiliar with the file
system/installation process.
> You have to forgive me, I am used to the ease of DOS and Windows commands.

> Would you be able to point me in the right direction as to how to install
this software
> or to someone/somewhere else I can learn about this.

Cast your mind back to the days when you first started with DOS/Windows.
Would you have
referred to "the ease of DOS and Windows commands" back then?  I don't think
so.
Trust me, Linux seems complicated in comparison, and in some ways probably
is, however if
you commit yourself to learning the basics the rewards you get for it will
be a hundredfold
compared to the Windows server environment.

(if you think I'm stretching things a little, I speak from experience, until
2.5 yrs ago I had nothing
to do with Linux/Samba or anything Unix based, I looked after NT/Novell
servers.  Then I discovered
Samba in pretty much the same way you did, and now 9 out of our 11 sites run
Samba PDCs with
the other 2 in the process of being migrated from NT4....we have had nothing
but positive response
from userland about the newfound stability and speed of their networks....)

Regards