[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 is crap.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 8 14:14:01 GMT 2002

Knut Ove Hauge wrote:

> Unstable windozes (hangs all the time)
> Major bugs in the printing system, mount and smbmount commands.
> Samba 2.2.5 is completely usable if you ask me. Crap I would say and
> should never been released.

Thankyou for the feedback.  Would you care to elaborate?

As we prepare for Samba 2.2.6, we are actively seeking feedback on how
we can improve.  We suffer the same bugs and regressions that all
projects face, and it is only with good feedback that we can hope to
find them all.

> I consider to change to Beeweb although it
> cost money.

Beeweb is a very different product.  It appears that they have created a
windows client-side VFS redirector, and have implemented a file-sharing
protocol on top of that.  Indeed, where they target an internet
environment, Samba does not - SMB/CIFS is completely unsuited to that
task.

It will be interesting to see where Beeweb fits in around WebDAV and
standard HTTP - but they do seem to have an interesting market.  It's
also important to note that they must solve many of the same problems
that Samba does - they just plug in at a different layer.

> BTW how do u uninstall the dirt?? using ./uninstall ???

As Joel mentioned, it very much depends on the installation method.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net