[Samba] smbmount and taper

pg pg at newhonest.com
Fri Sep 6 02:53:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

    I'm using smbmount in my redhat 7.3 server to mount win me boxes and
backup them with taper, then release the mount after backup.
backup# smbmount //jason/c/ /mnt/smbfs/jason
backup# taper .....
backup# smbumount /mnt/smbfs/jason
backup# smbmount //company/c /mnt/smbfs/company
backup# taper ....
backup# smbumount /mnt/smbfs/company

    If everything is going good, this combination works fine. But if the win
box that I'm backing up crashed or swtiched off while it is still mounting,
I couldn't smbumount it at all. I couldn't kill it with kill -9 either. The
only thing I can do is restart the linux server.

    Is there any way to write some simple script to dectect the mount's
condition and if the mount is bad, is there anyway to umount it?

-Jason