[Samba] using LDAP and PDC together

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Thu Sep 5 18:00:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 10:46, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of migrating to
>
> passdb backend = ldapsam
>
> on debian unstable with the latest 3.0pre samba package.
>
> All users have a ldap sambaAccount object which was added by hand after
> using migrationtools from padl.com. Testing auth with smbclient works
> fine, however when using samba as a PDC from WinXP I can't log into the
> domain as I used to when "passdb backend = smbpasswd". However adding
> the machine to the domain seems to work.
when? during the install or after?
you may need to set use spnego= no in your smb.conf (if your use pre18
or earlier)
I assume you applied the signorseal reg patch to the clients since you
mention that using a different backend works for you.

> I haven't dug very deep into the problem, at this point I am just
> wondering if there is any known issue with using LDAP and PDC
> functionalities together?
i'm using this with no problems

> Also in the sambaAccount ldap object I noticed a mandatory "rid" field.
> What does relative id mean? I populated the rid's with unix id's, is it
> a good or bad idea?
a bad idea - i think they're supposed to be unique from unix uid
try making them unique (the old formula is 1000+uid*2)

here is an entry from my ldap db:

dn: uid=lauelab,ou=People,dc=bitc,dc=unh,dc=edu
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
objectClass: sambaAccount
userPassword:: passwd here
shadowLastChange: 11715
shadowMax: 99999
loginShell: /bin/bash
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /home/lauelab
gecos: generic lab user
uidNumber: 4491
uid: lauelab
pwdLastSet: 1027535857
logonTime: 0
logoffTime: 2147483647
kickoffTime: 2147483647
pwdCanChange: 0
pwdMustChange: 2147483647
displayName: generic lab user
cn: generic lab user
rid: 9982
primaryGroupID: 1201
lmPassword: lm hash here
ntPassword: nt hash here
acctFlags: [U          ]

it was a bit of a hassle getting this set up but i'm pretty happy with
the reliablity and ease of adding new applications that authenticate
against the common password db. (ie phpgroupware)

good luck!

brad