[Samba] Lost connection to network drive

Smith, Daniel A(Z07833) Daniel.Smith at pinnaclewest.com
Thu Sep 5 14:47:00 GMT 2002

At the risk of going into AOL mode, I've been having similar problems since we went to W2K SP2 on all our PCs. I've been tinkering with it for a month or so now.  As best as I can figure (and it is intermittent problem here) it has to do with socket time outs.

I found an article in the Microsoft knowledge base (Q316740) that suggest Microsoft has changed 2000 and XP to not send a SMB Logoff command &X when disconnecting a drive.  I have had some success in changing the deadtime parameter to be less than the disconnect time on the Win 2000 clients. Now we only lose drives about once a week.

We are running Solaris 2.6 as the server.  Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated.

Dan Smith
Sr. System Analyst
Pinnacle West Shared Services
"If you can't get your work done in 24 hours a day,
work nights"

smb.conf
#Workgroup and netbios name changes to make our Data Security People Happy

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = XXXX
	netbios name = YYYYYY
	security = SERVER
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv
	password server = nt999pv
	username map = /appls/public/samba/lib/user.map
	password level = 8
	syslog = 0
	deadtime = 10
	keepalive = 0
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE
	printcap name = /appls/public/samba/lib/printcap
	dfree command = /appls/public/samba/bin/dfree.sh
	NIS homedir = Yes
	create mask = 0664
	force create mode = 0664
	printing = bsd
	level2 oplocks = No

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	path = /home/%u
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp
	guest ok = Yes

[apps]
	path = /apps
	read only = No
#...
#More groups configures like apps

log.smbd snippit

[2002/09/05 07:10:44, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(499)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2002/09/05 07:10:44, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(524)
  write_socket: Error writing 180 bytes to socket 22: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[2002/09/05 07:10:44, 0] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_send_smb(96)
  Error writing 180 bytes to client. -1